Twitter and the Digital Divide


    
I don't have too much experience using Twitter. I have searched for different teaching/education accounts and I responded to one person's twitter chat, but other than that, I have very little interactions on Twitter. I really don't think Twitter is going to have any influence or affect in my future career. I understand how it can be helpful for some teachers in reaching out to others to get inspiration or advice. I just feel that I can search for the information elsewhere and not use Twitter.


Digital divide discusses the gap between people who do and do not have access to technology. For the students who do not have easy access to technology, it might be very challenging for them to do schoolwork or homework especially since the majority of work is assigned online. Or say a student has a laptop, but their house doesn't have internet. Some causes of digital are based on income or the education of your parents. If your parents have money and a good education, their children are more likely to have easy access to technology. On the flip side, a low income and little education most likely leads to little to no access to technology or an understanding of how to use it. As a future teacher, I need to be sensitive of the students who do and who do not have technology. If I am aware of the students who do not have technology, I can make sure to assign homework that doesn't really require you to use technology. I could also print out the homework so that the students don't have to pull it up online.



Academic software is more important now than it ever was before. With more and more things being online, teachers and students should have more resources and a better understanding of how to use technology in the classroom. Two software tools I would want to use as a teacher are Kahoot! and Google Classroom. Google Classroom is a central hub where teachers and students can access shared resources and connect all of the Google tools they use every day. What is also great is that most people (parents, teachers, and students alike) will already be familiar with how to use it. Kahoot makes testing fun! It is a great way for students to create their own quizzes and even make a competition out of it. I would like to use this software in my classroom because they are both free and easy to use. I want to make learning fun and simple for my students and don't want this like money or lack of understanding of advance technology get in the way of students excelling in life.

Comments