ELA, CPALMS, and Internet Searching, OH MY!

    


 

    In the Florida Standards Science - Computer Science Standards, for Kindergarten one of the standards is from the Body of Knowledge: COMPUTER SCIENCE - PERSONAL, COMMUNITY, GLOBAL, AND ETHICAL IMPACT. Standard 1 is being responsible for how you use technology and information. An example of that is showing your students how to properly take care of electronic devices. Like, showing students how to handle devices or remembering to keep food and water away from your device. I do feel prepared to implement this standard. I feel this is a fairly simple standard and most of it is teaching kids common sense about taking care of their electronics.

    From the CPALMS Educator Toolkit, I decided to choose a lesson from Kindergarten math. I chose the lesson, recognizing and writing numbers 0 and 1. Most of the lesson requires you to give a certain number of objects to the students and have them count out 0 or 1. After they are able to recognize 0 or 1 object, they will then practice writing the numbers 0 and 1. I would use this in my classroom because it is very important for kids this age to be able to recognize their numbers and not only how to write them down but how to count them out as well.

Internet searching and being proficient at it is a very important skill to have as a teacher. If a student asks me a really complex or long question, it would be good for me to know how to point out the key words in their question so that I can quickly look up the answer for them and also obtain the best answer. It's also good because if I am looking for a specific material for my class, I can look up the exact words to get the best material for my students. One thing I have learned is that you sometimes have to be very specific when it comes to what you are searching for. Sometimes there are a lot of words that are the same but mean different things. So how you word or phrase them can make all the difference.

Comments