Digital Natives and Standards for Educators

    
    I have a lot of experience with MS Word. I remember starting to use MS Word as young as third grade. I have always used MS Word. I have typed up a lot of projects and papers especially throughout high school and college. It wasn't until high school when I started using Google Docs. I'm not a huge fan of Google Docs, I definitely prefer MS Word, but the only thing I like about Google Docs is that it is great for group projects. Other than that though I like using MS Word mainly because I am more familiar with it and think the software works better.

    The ITSE Standards for Educators that has the most impact on me is the Citizen. This standard is when educators inspire students to contribute positively and responsibly in the digital world. They teach how to build relationships online, promote curiosity. They teach how to be safe, legal and ethical with the digital tools they are given. This sticks out to me because I want to make sure that as a teacher I am keeping my students as safe as possible when they are online. It's important to show students good morals and how to be an overall positive person both online and offline. I especially think it's important when you are online because everybody can see what you are saying and when you are online, not everybody knows who you are in person and can take what you say the wrong way.

A digital native is someone who is very familiar with technology and is a "native speaker" of the Internet. I do think the term digital native is a very appropriate way to describe the current generation. When I was in elementary and middle school, it was very obvious that my generation had a better understanding of technology most of the time than my teachers who were supposed to be the ones teaching us about technology. I remember in fourth grade, we had a student in my class who was the "tech helper," and he would assist the teacher in any technological errors. It didn't impact me tremendously but I do have a feeling that once I am a teacher I won't have the same issue my teachers had, but rather I will understand how to use the current technology just as much as my students will because I grew up in a more technology prevalent era and am more familiar with it than my teachers were when I was growing up.

Comments